I originally posted this on my old blog in 2008. I’m happy to say I’m still using this tree skirt.
I sent a couple tweets about this awhile ago, but didn’t get around to posting the pictures until now (Sorry!)
I couldn’t find my usual Christmas tree skirt this year, and it was one I’ve been wanting to replace anyway (so I didn’t look too hard), so I decided to make a new one.Lil Girl had this dress which she wore for Christmas a couple years ago, and I hated to get rid of it because it’s such a pretty dress. The thing I really liked about it was the way the tulle underskirt peeked out from under the overskirt.
I decided one way to keep it out in the open & enjoy it would be to turn it into the tree skirt. I removed the bodice and hemmed the waist back up.
Then I slid it under the tree.
Note: I initially left the seam at the back intact, but after a couple of years of having to do some magic tricks to get the skirt on because I didn’t think of it when I was first setting up the tree, I opened the seam & hemmed the edges. Now it just slides around the base like any other tree skirt.
A few weeks ago, I came across a pair of place mats in the clearance bin at Wal-Mart. I’m a sucker for fabric with script on it (witness my drool over Victoria Grayson’s chair on “Revenge“) and they were $1 each so I grabbed them, even though I really don’t have a use for place mats (I’m usually lucky if I can find the dining table under all the papers that gather there).
I got them home and showed them to hubby, who immediately pointed out that they’d make cute pillows. With the long weekend, I finally carved out a little time to work on these. Other than the fact that I had to run to the craft store for more stuffing (Oh, darn!) I spent less than an hour on these, and most of that time was working the stuffing into the pillow.
Since these were nice lined place mats, I just had to open up the seam to make a hole for the stuffing. I opened it near a bottom corner for the first one, but found that made it difficult to get the stuffing into the opposite corner. For the second one, I made the hole closer to the center of the bottom and that worked better.
Sewing the seam back up was quick (again, the second one with the hole near the center was easier to sew closed than the one with the hole at the corner).
Here are the finished pillows: